skip to main content

IEE Main Office

336-338 Friends St
Camden, NJ 08102
Phone: (856) 225-6051
Fax: (856) 225-6617

Home » What’s New? » I am a post-baccalaureate or graduate student who wants subject-area (P-12) certification. What steps do I follow to get certified?

I am a post-baccalaureate or graduate student who wants subject-area (P-12) certification. What steps do I follow to get certified?

Posted at 10 a.m. Feb. 2, 2015,

The Teacher Preparation Program offers P-12 subject-area certificates in Art, English, French, German, Spanish, Mathematics, Music, Social Studies, Biological Science, Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science, and Theater.

Post-baccalaureate students are those who have already earned a bachelor’s degree, either from Rutgers or from another 4 year accredited institution and who are coming to complete Teacher Preparation Program requirements.
Graduate students are those currently admitted to an RUC graduate program and are pursuing the undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program concurrently.

  1. Post-baccalaureate / Graduate students seeking P-12 (subject-area) certification must:
    Show evidence of a minimum of 30 credits in a major or concentration for which you are seeking certification, 12 of which must be at the 300 level (junior / senior level) or higher. P-12 certification candidates seeking certification in an area outside the discipline of their bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of thirty (30) credits in a coherent subject area concentration, with twelve (12) of those credits in courses at a junior / senior level. These 30 credits may consist of ANY array of courses offered by the major department, not necessarily those specified by the department for the degree.
  2. Complete the Teacher Preparation Program requirements for the P-12 Program

* We encourage students to complete the Admission Requirements for the Teacher Preparation Program before investing in coursework.

Sequence for completing the P-12 Teacher Preparation Program

  1. Apply to Rutgers Camden or Re-enroll at Rutgers Camden
  2. Complete the Admission Requirements for the Teacher Preparation Program
  3. Make an appointment with a TPP staff member to officially enroll in Certification Program (856-225-6051)
  4. Sign for a Student Teaching Application one year in advance of the desired to student teaching semester. You cannot enroll in any fieldwork courses unless you are officially admitted to the IEE Certification Program. Student Teaching Application deadlines are late September for the following fall semester and late January for the following Spring semester.
  5. See chart below for final coursework sequence:

Student Teaching Application Due

Methods (Practicum)
(3 credits)

Practicum II
(3 credits)

Student Teaching
(12 credits – full time semester)

End of September for the following Fall Semester

Spring Semester

Summer Semester

Fall Semester

End of January for the following Spring Semester

Fall Semester

Winter Semester

Spring Semester

Category: Certification

← FAQs